8.30.2009

What We've Been Reading

Ashleigh:
I would love to lie to you and say that I'm reading The Magicians: A Novel by Lev Grossman or Man Gone Downby Michael Thomas, two recent releases I am excited to start. But until those books arrive (hurry up, UPS), I'm working my way through On Writing Short Storiesedited by Tom Bailey. I picked it up intending to get some pointers for my own fiction, but I was immediately distracted by the selection of classic short stories provided as examples. Turns out this Flannery O'Connor character has a knack for story-telling.

Joseph:
George Pelecanos-The Night Gardener.Pelecanos fucking rules. What do you expect? Great dialog, vivid descriptions of street life, cops, corner kids, and murder. The Drama City is wonderfully written with Pelecanos' eye for detail-the nooks and crannies-neighborhoods outside of the powerful elite. Get wise to Pelecanos son.

No comments: