10.16.2009

What We've Been Reading

Brad:
I'm reading In Cold Bloodfor the first time ever. How I'm this old without ever having read it is beyond me. But this book is rocking my socks off. The prose is both concrete and lyrical, and the story is just so horrifying. I'm happy to be making up for lost time.

I'm also reading The Beginning of the Fieldsby Angela Shaw. The aesthetics and the subject matter aren't my usual cup of tea, maybe, but this is also a really excellent book, full of concrete and lyrical writing, and my socks here too are in the process of being rocked off. Wonderful.

Dustin:
I just finished my bi-annual reading of TS Eliot's The Waste Land & Other Poems, as well as the last two parts of Beowulf. (I had the urge to read something in Old English. I had to memorize the first 100 lines of Beowulf, in Old English, when I was a junior in high school and I haven't read any Old English since. When I started working on this blurb I wrote a long apology for reading something in Old English, as though I had offended everyone's family. Fuck that. It was fun.)

I'm currently plowing through Aleksandar Hemon's The Lazarus Project.It's pretty great so far. Structurally, it's pretty wild. Though I feel like I've been saying that a lot lately. Maybe I've just become interested in structure and that's what I'm seeing but Hemon's flashing between this story that the main character is trying to uncover and that characters real life is done seamlessly. It's beautiful. Socks, consider yourself rocked.

No comments: